5G, or fifth generation cell phone technology requires an entirely different cell tower system. Adding to the existing macro cell towers are “small cell” towers planned for nearly every other block. In some cities, like Sacramento CA. 5G is already installed and many other cities have applications pending. The following information is focused on the “small cell”, but the “how to oppose” can apply to larger towers too.
The Federal Communications Commission and the federal government have been promoting and supporting rapid expansion of 5G. Some states have already passed laws forcing them onto communities. However people are pushing back and defeating installations. When neighbors and community resist towers can be stopped. In Seaside California 5 cell towers were denied. In California SB649, which would have restricted cities ability to regulate 5G, was vetoed by Governor Jerry Brown.
The industry wants wireless everywhere with “small cell” towers every couple hundred feet apart! That means cell towers in our neighborhoods, near schools and parks, where we live, work and play. The industry vision for 5G is to enable the Internet of Things, Smart Communities, driverless cars (and
more), where roads and appliances (even baby diapers!) are embedded with wireless radiation transmitters that connect to cell phones, smart meters and the internet.
5G would use a combination of microwaves and millimeter waves, which are scientifically shown to harm people and nature. For a quick overview of the problem see this video of a press conference with U.S. senator Blumenthal, who demands proof of safety from the FCC, and listen to comments by Blake Levitt. For more information on 5G see What is 5G?
We need a moratorium on 5G, and we need to reduce wireless radiation throughout our communities.
Oppose 5G! The following information has been compiled to help you stop 5G to protect your neighborhood, community, people, pets, and environment. Are you new to activism? If yes, listen to Zen of Mom’s Across America as she explains how to organize against 5G, See Episode 4
- Keep a watch on your [city or county] planning or permit department for applications for “small cell” towers. You’ll need to call the city or county to find out who handles the telecommunications applications. Note they might deny the “small cell” is 5G but call it 4G instead. 4G small cell are the precursor to 5G and should be opposed.
- Educate and engage the community about EMF/wireless health risks. Here is a brochure about EMFs and a Stop 5G fact sheet and a Stop 5G bee flyer you can use to start a conversation. Mobilizing other people to get involved to take action is important. Even a few people can make a big difference. It is important to educate decision makers on the science of harm, because this will motivate them to find ways to deny the application. People can also argue aesthetics, location, loss of scenic views, property devaluation, and no significant coverage gap.
- If you live in California: This legal letter from Best Best and Krieger, outlines what a California community can do to legally deny “small cell” towers in the public rights of way. * April 24 2018 Letter to EMF Safety Network re small cells. Update: FCC WT Docket 17-79 went into effect on 1/13/2019. This info is not included in the above letter. The order adopts: new deadlines [shot clocks] for actions on small cell applications; limits on fees and rents that can be charged for small cells; new standards governing when a locality can say “no”; new standards for permissible aesthetic, under grounding, and spacing requirements. See: https://www.bbklaw.com/BBK/media/Library/pdf/IMLA-General-Presentation-Final.PDF (Please note: BBK’s letter and smart meter representation have been helpful to us, however we have received complaints that their attorneys have not been helpful for cities on 5G ordinance updates.)
- Speak at public comments at city and county meetings and meet in person with city and county decision makers. Speak to those issues with the strongest science, boil it down to basic terms and concepts, and document the claims you make. For example: Peer-reviewed published science shows harmful effects of cell tower radiation include: fatigue, headaches, sleep problems, anxiety, ringing in the ears, heart problems, learning and memory disorders, increased cancer risk, and more. Children, the ill and the elderly are more vulnerable. This Letter to Sebastopol 5G includes studies and quotes you can use. See also: Biological Effects from Radiofrequency Radiation and www.emfscientist.org Studies of radiation impacts on wild birds documented nest abandonment, plumage deterioration and death. https://www.ntia.doc.gov/files/ntia/us_doi_comments.pdf Peer reviewed published science shows millimeter waves adversely affect health. https://goo.gl/gbBKHL More studies here. See also: EU 5G Appeal. International Society of Doctors for Environment 5G Appeal
- “Small cell” tower is a junkyard on a pole! In reality these often do not look like the representational drawings the industry presents. Click on the photos to the left for a closer look.
- Share important news: Democracy Now reported on an investigation by The Nation “How Big Wireless Made Us Think That Cell Phones Are Safe.” and “How Big Wireless War-Gamed the Science on Risks, While Making Customers Addicted to Their Phones” For current news follow EMF Safety Network on Facebook.
- When there is an application pending: Send a letter by mail and email to the decision makers and go to the public meetings to speak out and oppose. Gather others to go to the meeting to also speak out. Make signs for the meeting! Please note: decision makers are often volunteers and they need to be educated about complex EMF science and laws. While some people feel aggressive tactics is the only way to get them to understand, practicing courtesy is also effective. You may want to ask the city to hire an independent RF specialist to prove there is a coverage gap. Here is an independent RF firm: http://www.emfservices.com/cell-towers.htm
- Create a flyer to circulate to let people know what’s happening and where to complain. See this sample flyer to adapt and create your own.
Other posts on 5G on EMFSN: