Electrical Sensitivity (ES) is also known as Electrosensitivity, Electromagnetic Sensitivity (EMS), EMF Sensitivity, Electrical Hypersensitivity (EHS), Microwave Sickness, Wireless Stress Syndrome and Rapid Aging Syndrome. A key determining factor in evaluating whether or not someone has ES is how they feel away from EMF and RF and whether or not their health symptoms improve with prudent avoidance.
Symptoms: The symptoms of ES vary widely with each person, depending on the strength, type and length of exposure as well as exposure to other toxins in the environment, individual constitution and basic health practices. Symptoms can be mild to severe and include: sleep problems, tinnitus, chronic fatigue, headaches, concentration, memory, learning and immune system problems,heart palpitations. nausea, joint pain, swelling of face, neck, eye problems, rashes, and cancer.
- Suggestions for healing:
- Practice Prudent avoidance of electricity, electromagnetic fields and radio frequencies
- Reduce or eliminate cell, cordless phone and wi-fi use (unplug and remove)
- Use a corded phone and wired internet connections (confirm the DSL router is wired)
- If necessary move away from high EMF or RF environment (power lines, cell towers)
- Sleep in an electricity free bedroom- turn off the electricity at the breaker box.
- Sleep in a metal free bed. Consider a wool bed.
- Reduce electrical exposures as much as possible throughout the house by turning off breakers at the breaker box.
- Remove dimmer switches, CFL’s, fluorescent lights.
- Install filters to mitigate “dirty electricity”. Stetzer, and Green Wave sell filters. (This is not an endorsement, and people with EHS have differing reactions to filters.) It is best if you can turn off the electricity at the breaker box.
- Use a notebook computer on battery with an external (wired) keyboard and wired mouse (never use the computer on your lap)
- work offline when possible
- Have your home, car and work tested for EMF and RF (click here for a detailed review of meters to buy or rent)
- Alternative health care can be very beneficial: Chiropractic, acupuncture, herbs, massage.
- Eat fresh, local, and organic foods.
- Follow all rules for basic good health and take it slow: Healing comes with time and distance
- Work with policy makers to create responsible public policy to reduce EMF and RF in the environment.
Mast-Victims.Org an online community where people “living under the threat of masts and antennas can record their case histories and share their thoughts online.”
Interviews with Electrosensitives: Electromagneticman
Radiation Research Trust EHS TEST
Electrical Sensitivity E-SENS online discussion group
Susan Parsons:”Living with Electrohypersensitivity-A Survival Guide”
Lucinda Grant: Electrical Sensitivity Handbook
Forced to Disconnect – Electrohypersensitive fugitives e book by Gunilla Ladberg